Monday 31 October 2016

HEALing reflection on caring from "the other"


Littman Stethoscope - a tool of the trade,
but not always essential to hear what is needed
.


Picture credit to: https://www.google.ca/searchq=littmann+stethoscope +classic+ii&rlz=1C1CHFX_enCA563CA563&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved= 
0ahUKEwju7dDF-e3RAhVLx2MKHcekA-8Q_AUICCgB&biw=1540&bih=804#tbm
=isch&q=littmann+stethoscope+black+and+gold&imgrc=Q3AYrwNkQLgZAM%3A

So I find myself in the doctor’s office, I am waiting for her familiar,
humming “Pum pum pum.” as she segues from her previous patient to me.
 I hear the creak of her chair as it turns, I visualize her swinging around and standing to stroll a few steps to enter through the door to the small sterile clinical room for my regular visit. She is my new doctor and I have only seen her a few times. She is well dressed, confident, professional, with a stethoscope draped around her neck. She looks at me, directly into my eyes and asks, "How are you doing?” 
I can only react with a shoulder shrug and tears spring into my eyes. She reaches forward and touches my leg with one hand and reaches with the other for a tissue and passes it to me. 
Through quiet sobs I respond, "I don't know.”  
She waits for me to say more. Seconds pass. She waits, to listen, to me.
I am silent. 
She continues, "I can only imagine. You have had a lot to deal with. I think you are not ready, no where near ready to go back to work. You need some time and it might be a longer time than you think.” 
She does not look away or busy herself with her computer; she holds her gaze on me. I look down and tears spill down into my lap. 
I say, "I don't know what to do.”
Softly she replies, "I do.” 


          So how did I know I was cared for? Physicians get paid for approximately a 10 minute visit. Time is  always short in health care. Patience is often short in health care. So in my weakest emotional state, my doctor ( the other ) took the time to wait for me to respond, was comfortable in the silence and my nonverbal response. She took the time to care enough to touch me and provide a small gesture of understanding with a tissue. She listened with her other senses, and heard my silent loss. She did not avert her gaze but held the moment and looked into the desperate eyes of a mother's grief. She "heard" through my inability, and ascertained what needs I had and was willing to support me through the darkest of despair. I knew she would help me. I knew she cared.

          Purely by another person taking notice, of my being recognized, and having my feelings and inability acknowledged gave me hope for help and possibility. Potential movement forward; one tiny step towards something beyond complete stasis and being locked, frozen in a dysfunctional existence, now with a promising beginning of at least a partial recovery and maybe some healing of the deepest wound one can sustain. 


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully composed! Thank you for sharing this moment with us Neva. You've described to me how difficult this transition has been and the courage it has taken to move forward. Sometimes all we need is to feel heard. I'm so relieved to know that you had a compassionate individual who understood the process that you were experiencing and could provide you the care you desired. You're doing fantastic! And keep up the amazing painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's rare to find a doctor to take the time to actively be present in the moment and give you the time you deserve. Well written.

    ReplyDelete